Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The whole 6 yards


After moving into our house a little over a year ago, we didn’t do much to the outside. We (meaning mainly Sparky) had done so much work remodeling the inside that we decided the outside could wait.  Remember the jungle I showed you last year? Yep, still there.

This summer though, we’d finally had enough. The deck was falling apart and the bushes in the front were taking over in the front of the house. Both of us HATED the front “flower” bed.  It was full of rocks and weeds, 25+ year old nasty junipers and other random bushes. Why oh why did everyone plant junipers in the late 70s and early 80s? I can’t believe they looked any better back then. And the smell. Blech.

I thought that I had all kinds of pictures of the front of the house. Do you think I can find any? Nope. So, bare with the befores. One is scanned from the original sales flyer and one is in the winter. But, hopefully, you’ll still get the idea.

Imagine almost another 2 years of growth on these things!

SCAN0217


DSC_0336

Anyway, we’d talked about tearing just the junipers out and trimming the rest. But I finally said, I don’t care if everything goes. It all looks like sh crap and I'm tired of looking at it. So, that’s what Sparky did.

I came home from work one day to see this.  (These are the pics Sparky took with his cell to send to our family to let them know how crazy we are.)

V__E491

V__652D

And it was WONDERFUL! You could actually see the front door! (You could also see how crappy the front porch is, but that’s a story for another day. Oh, and there's Peachie. Hi Peachie!)

But, what do we do now? You can see the front of the house, which is great, but now you can also see all the weeds, craptastic rock and is that the foundation? Yikes! The lowest part of that space was right next to the house. Not good. That means, whenever it rains, all the water is going towards the house instead of away from the it. Time to pull out those stumps and get some fill in there! Sparky attached some chain things to the stump and yanked them out with our Jeep.

DSC_0240

DSC_0246

Ugh. That looks like a.lot.of.work. 

DSC_0247

This is the juniper root ball. I was told it was really heavy. All I know is that I'm glad it and it's nasty green, pee smelling greenery are gone.

We cleaned up the rock as best we could and called up our friends at Patio World to deliver 6 yards of screened black dirt. Do you know how much dirt 6 yards is? 16,200 pounds. I think the pile was about 4 feet high. (I should’ve taken a picture, but honestly, we didn’t want a reminder of how much dirt we shoveled.)

First thing we did was fill in the big holes left behind from the bushes. Then, we started filling in the big gap near the foundation of the house. I won’t lie. It sucked. I’m not made for manual labor. It was hot and it made my back hurt. At one point, Sparky said, “My old man taught me how to do a lot of stuff. The <insert bad word>. If he hadn’t, we could’ve hired all this stuff out.” To which I replied, “If he hadn’t, I wouldn’t have married you.”  We work really well together, so while it wasn't the way we'd prefer to spend a day off, at least we were together! And we treated ourselves to a couple of adult beverages and awesome burgers in the nice cool air conditioning of JL Beers afterwards. (Mmmm, the Humpty Burger. Heaven!)

Anywho, once we had the holes filled and the gaps filled, we moved on to the rest until finally, after a couple of hours, we had this:

DSC_0251

Hallelujah!

DSC_0249

It looks so.much.better! I don’t know if I’ve ever been so happy to see a bunch of black dirt and no plants.

Although, I wasn’t as thrilled to see it on my feet. For once I was actually wearing real shoes and not flip flops. Obviously, since the dirt goes so well to my wonderful flip-flop tan line. Don't you agree?

DSC_0253

Did I really just posted a picture of my dirty feet? My mom will be so proud! (Makes me giggle thinking about it.)

We’ve got other plans for the front of the house. Some will happen this year, some probably won’t be until next year. We definitely want to get some mulch down. We might plant a couple of things this fall to add some color. We WILL NOT be filling up the entire space. Just nice, average sized plants that won’t get out of control and are fairly low maintenance.

Maybe something like this:

peonies and pontentilla

We’ll see what we can find this fall.

Eventually, the front porch is coming off and a lovely stamped concrete patio is going in. I’ve got this great picture in my head of what it will look like…we’ll see if it matches reality.

We do have a new deck that I’ll share the details about soon. We LOVE it!

(And, I know that I have before pictures of the deck. I found them while looking for pictures for this post.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving your tan-lined feet! Amazing job with very difficult work - hope you're enjoying a glass of wine and a good book.

    I'm dancing a happy dance over your books on the table - you made my day.

    xomichele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!